1880-1889 timeline for Orford township

This page is a work-in-progress.

1882-11-13 – Transfer and grant by the Moravian Band of a lot on the farm of Israel Peters, whereon a church had been erected, for the use of the Church of England of the Diocese of Huron. [1]

1884-01-01 – A post office was established at Moraviantown; Rev. A. Hartman, postmaster. [2]

1886 – The postmasters in Orford township included: [3]

  • Henry Watson, Clearville (P.O. est’d. 1831)
  • Fred Sticker, Clachan (1858)
  • W.M. Curtis, Duart (1857)
  • Henry Bell, Highgate (1865)
  • Rev. A. Hartman, Moraviantown (1884)
  • Mrs. A. McDonald, Muirkirk (1874)
  • John Mills, Palmyra (1874)
  • R.F. Dickson, Turin (1878)


Sources:

1.

Dominion of Canada. Indian Treaties and Surrenders From 1680 to 1890. “Moravian or Delaware Indians—13th Nov., 1882. Lot on farm of Israel Peters on which a church is erected, Orford Township, Kent County. For Synod of Diocese of Huron.” Vol. II, No. 199, pg. 124. Ottawa: S.E. Dawson, 1905.

2.

Dominion of Canada. Canada Gazette, 19 January 1884. Vol. 17, no. 29 (pg. 1100). Digital image online at www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/canada-gazette/ (accessed 2018-03-15).

3.

Phelps, Edward, and Ross Cumming, eds. “Township of Orford,” in: Illustrated Historical Atlas of the Counties of Essex and Kent. Toronto: H. Beldon & Co., 1881.

❖     ❖     ❖

© Alison Kilpatrick 2018